Welcome to the City of Federal Way's Permit Center! Our staff are here to assist with the process of application, review, issuance, and inspection of proposed land use and construction activities that require permits and to answer questions about code requirements.
Permit applications are accepted and permits are issued between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday. You are encouraged to arrive prior to 4:00 pm to allow sufficient time to process your application. Staff is available to answer questions only until 5:00 pm when the doors close for business.
The Permit Center, as well as the rest of City Hall, is closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
** Please note that the Permit Center will be CLOSED at noon on Thursday, August 13th and will reopen for business at 8:00 am on Friday, August 14th. **
- Building Permits - Application and informational handouts for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Demolition and Fire Prevention permits.
- Sign Permits - Application and informational handouts relating to the requirements and restrictions for business signage.
- Land Use Permits - Application and informational handouts for Land Use permits including site plan review, environmental review, critical areas review, subdivisions, shoreline permits, etc.
- E-Permits - Apply online for residential electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits, and most commercial electrical permits.
- Construction Codes - Codes adopted by the City of Federal Way.
- Inspection Instructions - Contact information and how to call in inspections.
Property parcel numbers can be found by using the City's maps, searching King County's Parcel Viewer
, or calling the Permit Center at 253-835-2607.
Permit Activity Reports
Access to reports regarding permit activity throughout the City of Federal Way are available online. Weekly reports
, which encompass the building permit activity for the previous week, will be posted on Mondays by noon. Monthly reports
, which encompass the building, demolition, electrical, and plumbing permit activity for the previous month, will be posted by the 6th of each month.
If you would like information on a past or current project, you can submit a Public Record Request to the City Clerk's office
Right-of-Way permits can be accessed by clicking on this link