The City is holding an open house on Thursday, April 16, 2015, from 4:00 - 6:00 pm in the City Council Chambers at Federal Way City Hall to provide the public with the opportunity to review and comment on the update of the City's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) 2012-2016 Consolidated Plan. Information on the current Plan will be available at the open house, and staff will be present to answer questions. The current Consolidated Plan can be accessed here. Copies will also be available at the open house.
Each year, Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. The CDBG entitlement program allocates annual grants to larger cities and urban counties to develop viable communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
The City is required by HUD to produce a 5-year Consolidated Plan and an Annual Action Plan. Please view the 2014 Annual Action Plan here and the Substantial Amendment to the 2013 CDBG Annual Action Plan here. You may download the 2012-2016 Consolidated Plan here.
Download the Draft 2013 CDBG CAPER Report
Click here to download the City's Draft CDBG Section 108 Loan Fund Application.
2015 CDBG Community Economic Revitalization Fund Application
Click here to access the 2015 CDBG CERF application form. The deadline for submitting a completed application is 4:00 pm on July 18, 2014.
2012 CAPER Report
The City of Federal Way Program Year 2012 CDBG Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) was adopted by the City Council on March 19, 2013. The CAPER is the City’s annual CDBG project report to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The CAPER reflects the program year 2012 results, which began January 1, 2012 and ended December 31, 2012.
The City of Federal Way invites comments on the CAPER. The 20-day public comment period will begin Friday, February 8, 2013 and ends Thursday, February 28, 2013. Public comment will be received at a public hearing at the February 25, 2013 Human Services Commission meeting at 5:30 pm in the Hylebos Conference Room of City Hall. Written comments may be submitted to the Mayor’s Office, 33325 8th Avenue S, Federal Way, WA 98003.
CDBG funds can be used to carry out a wide range of community development activities directed toward economic development, job development/retention, revitalizing neighborhoods, and providing improved community facilities and public services. The City implements programs by contracting for services with its own departments or through area non-profit agencies.
The City funds CDBG programs by an annual application process. Each project or program proposal is measured against locally established goals and three nationally established objectives. The national objectives support activities that:
Once a project meets a national objective, it must also qualify as an eligible activity. CDBG funds may be used for activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Benefit low- and moderate-income persons;
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or blight; or
- Meet other community development needs having a particular urgency because existing conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the community where other financial resources are not available to meet such needs (i.e. disaster recovery relief).
- Acquisition, disposition, or clearance of real property;
- Rehabilitation of residential and non-residential structures;
- Construction of public facilities and improvements, such as water and sewer facilities, streets, and neighborhood centers;
- Direct human services;
- Homeownership assistance programs;
- Activities relating to energy conservation and renewable energy resources, and
- Assistance to for-profit businesses to carry out neighborhood economic development or job creation or retention activities.