Beach Lifeguard I - Steel Lake Beach
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Temporary, Seasonal*
SALARY RANGE: $11.50 - $13.50/hour
OPENS: February 17, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
NOTE: This is a seasonal position with variable hours from approximately June 24th-September 4th with no benefits. All certifications must be current through September 4, 2017.
This is a temporary employee position reporting to the Aquatic Coordinator, Beach Supervisor and or the Beach Lifeguard II. Lifeguards are responsible for the supervision and safety of the public at an outdoor aquatic facility. Primary duties include promoting safe aquatic recreation by educating patrons and enforcing safety rules to minimize accidents and injuries, and responding to any emergency in an appropriate manner. Individuals must be mature, trustworthy and able to work independently. The employee is subject to an annual evaluation. A background check is a condition of employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
On duty a maximum of 40 hours per week. Guards are responsible for notifying Beach Supervisor if they are scheduled for more than 40 hours per week with the City of Federal Way. Responsible for enforcing all facility rules and regulations as well as setting an example for safety procedures. Keep training records up to date. Responsible for all personal equipment issued and for the care and maintenance of all equipment assigned to the beach. Attend and participate in all scheduled beach staff meetings and in-service trainings. When necessary, make rescues and administer appropriate first aid. Know and carry out assigned responsibilities in the event of an emergency. Effectively work with the other staff members as a team. Complete any assignments issued by the Aquatics Coordinator or Beach Supervisor. Record daily, while on duty, all requested information on individual time sheet. Wear designated uniform. Perform light facility maintenance and janitorial duties as required. Adhere to blood borne pathogen policies and procedures.
- Perform strenuous activity..
- Perform duties involving physical labor such as swimming, repeated surface diving to a depth of 17 feet, bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing and twisting.
- Maintain 20/40 vision; use of corrective lens is acceptable.
- Assist during emergency situations.
- Lift 50 pounds and prepare reports
LICENSE & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess and maintain Northwest Lifeguard Test certification, American Red Cross certifications in: Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid and Preventing Disease Transmission.
- Must be at least 15 years of age.
- Work effectively and communicate with the public and co-workers.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Posses knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to a background check pursuant to RCW 43.43.832.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.