Seasonal Public Works Maintenance Worker
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Seasonal Support Worker*
SALARY RANGE: $12.65 - $18.97/hour; Hourly rate determined by contract language.
OPENS: March 27, 2017
CLOSES: Until Filled
*note: This is a seasonal, 40 hours or less, support position working variable lengths of time and schedules from approximately April – October, with no benefits. Positions that work 347 hours or more shall be represented by Teamsters Local 763 and is a condition of continued employment. Bargaining unit seasonal employees will only receive those benefits specifically outlined in Section 1.1.2 of the agreement.
Under the direction of the Surface Water/Street Maintenance Supervisors or Maintenance Lead Worker, assist full-time staff in the following job functions as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with minor carpentry, painting, plumbing, and irrigation repairs as needed.
- Safely use hand tools and assigned power equipment.
- Safely use chemicals, paint products, solvents, etc..
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public, supervisors, and other City staff.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks or projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team.
- Applicant must be reliable and able to arrive for assigned shift on time.
- Demonstrated ability to positively and effectively interact with diverse individuals to accomplish a common goal.
- Ability to shovel and sweep for extended periods.
- Ability to work and move around on rugged terrain without assistance.
- Ability to operate line trimmers, mowers, chain saws, and back pack blower.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds.
- Follow OSHA and WISHA safety laws.
- Follow the City of Federal Way employee guidelines.
- Operate department vehicles in a proper and safe manner.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Applicant must be at least 18 years of age, have experience in the above listed examples of job functions, and have the physical ability to perform the job functions.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Posses and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license. Possess a traffic/flagging card or have the ability to obtain one upon hire.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.