Claims Against City
Claims Against the City
Instructions for Completing and Filing a Claim
Please read carefully and follow the steps listed below for faster processing of your claim.
- Read and follow the directions that are provided with the claim for damages form.
- Complete the City of Federal Way claim form.
- You must date and sign the claim form in the presence of a Notary Public (Notary services are available for free of charge at City Hall).
- Attach relevant supporting documents (copies of any receipts, bills, invoices, estimates, etc.) or additional evidence (photos, diagrams, etc.). All documents are subject to the Washington state public disclosure statutes.
- You must file the original notarized claim with the city clerk in order for it to be valid. Return the original claim form and attachments in person or mail to:
City of Federal Way
33325 8th Ave. S
Federal Way, WA 98003
Note: Per state law only completed, original notarized forms will be accepted. Forms submitted by email, fax or other electronic means are not acceptable and will be rejected.
After the Claim is Filed
Once a claim is filed with the city clerk, it is forwarded to Risk Management in the city attorney’s office. A file is created and a determination is made whether to turn the claim over to the city’s insurance company, Washington Cities Insurance Authority (WCIA), or handle the claim in-house.
Information will be gathered from the involved department, which will be used to evaluate the claim and respond in one of the following three ways:
- Accept / settle the claim in whole or in part as a compromise
- Deny the claim (where there is no evidence of negligence or liability by the city)
- Tender the claim (transfer it to another party)
If your claim is accepted, you will be required to sign a release and an IRS W-9 form before any payment can be processed.
For more information contact the lead paralegal at 253.835.2561.