Home  /  Inside City Hall  /  About City of Federal Way  /  FAQ


Animal Services

What can I do if I have an animal complaint or have general questions about Animal Services?

You may call Animal Services at 253.835.PETS (7387), fax in the complaint form to 253.835.6739 or email us and advise us of the issue you are facing. Download the complaint form.

Where can I find the city ordinances that pertain to Animal Services?

Federal Way offers several chapters of city codes that will assist Animal Services in protecting animals in Federal Way and solving issues. If you have an issue and want to research the city codes please look at Chapters 7.03 and 9. There are other possible chapters that may be of assistant.

How do I become a volunteer for the Animal Services Unit?

You will need to fill out and submit the applications below to the Volunteer Coordinator. Mail to: Federal Way Police Department 33325 8th Ave. S., Federal Way, WA 98003

How can I provide input to the master plan?

There are many ways to be involved with the development of the Bicycle Pedestrian Master Plan. You can join our mailing list for electronic updates and notifications of community meetings on the master plan. You can attend one of the community meetings and help develop plan alternatives that address your needs and issues. If you have a particular issue you want the city to be aware of and address in the plan, see report a bike/ped need or issue below.

Arts Commission

Does Federal Way have any public art?

Yes! The City of Federal Way has a number of pieces in the public art collection. Look for our brochure, which lists where public art can be found at the libraries, city-owned buildings and hotels. There are also other pieces of public art around the city. The transit center has several pieces, as well as many of our schools and libraries.

How can I join the Arts Commission?

To become a member of any commission in the city, watch the Federal Way Mirror for notices of openings. You can also check the City of Federal Way website for openings. Most commissions require that you live in the City of Federal Way.

Bike and Pedestrian Plan

What is the CPPW Grant?

CPPW stands for Cities Putting Prevention to Work. The City of Federal Way was awarded a grant from Public Health Seattle/King County to develop a Bicycle Pedestrian Master Plan as part of a county-wide effort to increase physical activity in King County cities. This grant is funding the preparation of a city-wide Bicycle Pedestrian Master Plan. Other cities in King County are working on similar projects with CPPW grant funding. To learn more about the CPPW grant program please see links below.

Code Enforcement

Is it ok to park on the lawn?

A vehicle needs to be parked in the driveway, garage, carport or on a legal parking pad and there must be direct driveway access to the parking area. Legal pads can now consist of grass but cannot be located in the area between the primary dwelling unit and the front property line, FWRC 19.130.246.

My neighbor is building a shed in the backyard. What is allowed?

Sheds need to be detached, freestanding and under 200 square feet in order not to require a building permit. They also need to be out of the required setbacks which are usually 5 feet in the back and 5 feet on the sides.

There is a crew cutting down trees in my neighborhood; whom do I call?

After hours you should call 9-1-1, but otherwise start with code enforcement staff to determine if there is a violation as there are new Tree-Ratio guidelines to follow in residential areas.Please call 253.835.2617.