Home  /  How Do I...  /  Apply For...  /  Business Registration

Business Registration

We wish to take this opportunity to welcome you and your business to the community! We believe that you will find great opportunities here in Federal Way, located near the I-5 corridor and our beautiful Puget Sound. Federal Way is a centrally located major city with many resources for your business.
We wish you every success in your endeavors!
If you need assistance please contact us at 253-835-2506 or click here to email us.
The City of Federal Way regulates all businesses operating within city limits per City Code 12.05.040. These include standard businesses, home occupations, temporary permits, outside contractors, right of way activity permits, day care and adult family homes. Depending on the type of business you are registering, it can take one to four weeks to process your application. Specialty registrations such as pawnbroker, second hand dealer, day care and adult family homes will need to fill out an additional application. Depending on the type of registration, it may take 1-4 weeks for processing and review.
Effective January 1, 2019, per Resolution No. 18-746, a $1 IT Technology Fee was implemented on all business license registrations issued by the City.
To find out if your business is regulated under Federal Way jurisdiction, click here to go to the King County Parcel Viewer.
The applications are in pdf format.

Physical & Mailing Address:
City of Federal Way
Business Registration
33325 8th Ave. S.
Federal Way WA 98003

If you have further questions regarding business registration, would like an application mailed, faxed or emailed to you, please contact 253.835.2506 or bl@cityoffederalway.com, fax 253.835.2509 or stop by the Finance Department on the second floor of City Hall. 

If you are trying to open a Pet Related business, you also need to get a Public Health Permit. Their website for Pet Related Businesses: http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/petbusinesses.aspx

Business Services
Free Assistance for Small Businesses
Small Business Development Center at Highline College specializes in providing business and training services to entrepreneurs and existing businesses in order to be successful in today's economy. The Center provides free assistance with finding the best captial to grow your business, a proven pathway to growth, networking, and more. Contact the Center by phone at: 206.592.4151, or through email.
The SCORE Association, supported by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), is a nonprofit association that provides free business mentoring services to prospective and established small business owners in the United States. More than 10,000 volunteers provide these services, with all volunteers being active and retired business executives and entrepreneurs. Contact SCORE by phone at: 206.553.7320, or through email.
The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides support to entrepreneurs and small businesses through assistance specific to capital, contracts, and counseling. Contact the SBA by phone at: 206.553.7310.
In partnership with the SBA, the Veteran's Business Outreach Center (VBOC), equips veterans and active duty service members and their families with the resources to successfully start and run their businesses. The VBOC is committed to providing training and financing opportunities to entrepreneurs from the U.S. Military community. Contact the VBOC by phone at: 206.334.4330, or through email.
In partnership with the SBA, the Washington Women's Business Center (WBC) is committed to providing training and financing opportunities to female entrepreneurs and their families. Contact the WBC by phone at: 206.334.4330, or through email.
The Washington Business Hub is supported by the Washington State Office of the Chief Information Officer and seeks to help small businesses thrive in the Evergreen State. They provide new and established business owners with information they needs to properly register their operations so they can focus on what really matters, nurturing the company of their dreams. For more information, visit the Hub's website.


Business Licensing


33325 8th Ave. South
Federal Way, WA  98003

Fx: 253.835.2409

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm