Home  /  Inside City Hall  /  Public Works Department

Public Works Department


Road Construction Updates

Department Divisions

The City of Federal Way Public Works Department is managed by the Administrative Division and organized into five additional divisions.

  • The City’s transportation system is a combined effort between the:

    • Street Systems Division which oversees street improvements, capital streets projects, and maintenance functions of the City’s rights of way; and the

    • Traffic Division which provides transportation planning, traffic operation improvements, and neighborhood traffic services. 

  • Development Services Division reviews all engineering plans for residential and commercial development projects. 

  • Surface Water Management Division works to keep our waterways clean and our residents safe by providing improvements to the City’s stormwater infrastructure, fixing drainage problems, and reducing stormwater runoff. 

  • Solid Waste and Recycling Division manages the solid waste / recycling utility and franchise contract and provides education and outreach to local residents.     


Report a concern online (IE and Chrome only)

Not sure if Public Works handles it? Check out our Who Do I Contact? guide.



EJ Walsh, P.E.
Public Works Director

33325 8th Avenue South
Federal Way, WA  98003
Phone Numbers:
Office: (253) 835-2700
Fax: (253) 835-2709
After Hours Emergency: 1-800-400-0749


Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm